Among the best university courses to pursue in Kenya is Nursing. It’s extremely hard to be jobless in Kenya when you possess this degree. The salary of a Nurse ranges between Ksh 50,000 and Ksh200, 000 depending on the level of experience and the institution you work for.It takes approximately 4 years to complete a degree in Nursing in Kenya. The Admission requirements for the Bachelor of Nursing is as follows:
Mount Kenya University Bachelor of Science in Nursing Admission requirements
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) Programme takes FOUR years (12 trimesters) for direct entry intake and 2.5 years (8 trimesters) for BScN upgrading/ distance learning.
Minimum entry requirements for BScN direct entry
Kenya Certificate of Secondary education(KCSE) or its equivalent with an aggregate of C+(plus) and also C+ (plus) in each of the following requisite subjects:
- Mathematics/ Physics
Minimum entry requirements for BScN- Upgrading group
- Diploma in Nursing from a recognized institution
- KCSE mean grade C plain or Division 3
- A valid practice license from nursing council of Kenya
- Two years work experience after graduation as a registered nurse
University of Nairobi BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN NURSING (BSCN) admission requirements
- Candidates for admission must obtain the prescribed minimum grades in K.C.S.E. in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English or Kiswahili, or the following:
- Biological Sciences, Physical Science, Mathematics, English or Kiswahili and one subject from group two of K.C.S.E.
- Alternatively, admission may be granted to outstanding diploma holders from recognised Nursing Colleges. Such candidates must: Hold a diploma with credit or distinction from such Colleges.
- Be supported in their application by a statement from the principal of that college to the effect that their performance in the diploma course was exceptionally good and that their understanding of basic sciences is such that they will be able to benefit from a degree course.
- Any candidates currently employed shall have their application supported by a statement from their employer.
JKUAT Bachelor of Science Nursing Admission requirements
The minimum entry requirements are mean grade of C+ in KCSE or its equivalent with C+ in each of the following cluster subjects: English, Biology/Biological Sciences, Chemistry Mathematics or Physics.
RN to BScN Upgrading
• KCSE aggregate C plain plus Diploma in Nursing
• KCE/EACE Division 2 plus Diploma in Nursing
• KACE 1Principal and 2 Subsidiaries plus Diploma in Nursing
• At least 2 years working experience after attainment of the Diploma in Nursing
1 Direct Entry- Four (4) academic years on a full time basis
2 Upgrading- Two and a half academic years on part-time basis (2 days in a week)
3 Graduates of the programme will undertake a one year internship programme and sit for a licensing examination as prescribed by the Nursing Council of Kenya
Kenyatta University BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (NURSING AND PUBLIC HEALTH) Admission requirements
Candidates wishing to enroll for the Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing shall have obtained a mean grade of at least C+ at K.C.S.E or its equivalent and passed the cluster subject as indicated below:
Mathematics or Physics C+
English or Kiswahili C+
Biological Sciences C+
Physical Sciences C+
English or Kiswahili C+
Principal passes in Biology and Chemistry and a subsidiary pass either in physics or
Minimum of grade C in KCSE or KCE Division II and a Diploma in Nursing from a recognized medical training institution or its equivalent and must have been licensed by the Nursing council Kenya
Note: Holders of diplomas in Nursing must have practiced for at least 2 years or be ready to undertake a one year internship upon completion of their degree program.
University of Eastern Africa ,Baraton Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) Admission requirements
1. A mean grade of C+ (plus) or better in KCSE, division II or better, or its equivalent, is required for all pre-service students.
2. A grade of C+ or credit in cluster subjects; Mathematics/ Physics, Chemistry, (or Physical science), Biology, and English.
3. Foreign students from non-English speaking countries must have their High School certificates/diplomas translated into English with accompanying statement showing how their system equates to the Kenyan System. Foreign trained nurses must assume responsibility to have their certificates or diplomas translated to English. It is strongly advised that they should apply for registration with the Nursing Council of Kenya before admission to the university
4. Foreign ‘0’ level certificates are sent to the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) for equation to the Kenyan system. This is done before admission.
5. For Registered Nurses, a mean grade of C plain, or Division II, diploma certificate and a current practice license from the Nursing council of Kenya, and 2 years’ experience are required. Lack of 2 years’ experience will warrant a full year internship after graduation. 6. For enrolled nurses, a mean grade of C+ or better in KCSE or Division II in KCE, including a C+ or Credit pass in the following: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics/Physics and English; OR according to provisions that may be made by the Nursing Council of Kenya.
Students who are admitted to UEAB with the necessary admission requirements for a BScN degree program are considered as pre-clinical nursing students. Upon attainment of required grades in nursing cognate subjects, students proceed to (clinical) professional nursing courses.
Kabarak University Bachelor of Science, Nursing Admission requirements
All applicants for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing must satisfy the following requirements:
A mean grade of at least C+ (C plus) in K.C.S.E. with a minimum of C+ in the following subjects:
Chemistry or physical science
Biology or Biological Science
English or Kiswahili
Physics or Mathematics
Umma University Bachelor of Nursing Admission requirements
|Programmes||Admission Requirements||Duration and Fees|
|1. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Direct entry)||KCSE mean grade of C+ and above with C+ English or Kiswahili , C+ in Mathematics or Physics , C+ in Biology , C+ in Chemistry or equivalent qualifications||12 Trimesters/ 4years|
|2. Bachelor of Science Nursing (Upgrading)||1. Higher Diploma in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing 2. Registered with the Nursing Council of Kenya At least 2yearsof working Experience after the attainment of the Diploma||8trimester /2I/2|
Kenya Methodist University Bachelor of Nursing Admission Requirements
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Direct Entry)||KCSE C+ (plus) and in addition C+(Plus) in cluster subjects Maths/physics, English/Kiswahili , Chemistry, and Biology|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Upgrade /in-Service)||Diploma in Nursing or its equivalent with a mean grade of C (plain) ) or Division II and atleast 2 years work experience following NCK registration.||Fulltime/ DLM||Main Campus (Meru) and Nairobi Campus|
Karatina University Bachelor of Nursing Admission requirements
Minimum grade of C+ in at KCSE with at least C+ in English OR Kiswahili; C+ in Mathematics OR Physics, C+ in Chemistry and C+ in Biology Or be a Holders of Higher National Diploma and Ordinary Diploma in Nursing with a Distinction or Credit from Nursing Council of Kenya accredited Training Institutions.
St Paul’s University Bachelor of Nursing Admission requirements
A minimum KCSE grade of C+ plus
C+ (plus) in Biology or Biological Sciences
C+ (plus) in English or Kiswahili
C+ (plus) in Chemistry or Physical Science
C+ (plus) in Mathematics or physics