Nowadays you have seen even university graduates applying to become chiefs and assistant chiefs. These are people who make a lot of money despite earning average salary. There is money in villages especially when solving cases and also dealing with businesses.
First, let’s look at the roles of chiefs and assistant chiefs in Kenya.
Chief/Assistant Chief Candidate Requirements:
- Must be a Kenyan Citizen
- Must be at least 35 years old
- Must have worked in the Public Service for a period of nothing less than five years
- Must be a resident of the particular sitting Location
- Must have an original Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with a mean grade of C.
- Must be in possession of a certificate in Public Administration/Management, Social Work/Community Development, Teaching, Disaster Management or its equivalent from a recognized Kenyan institution
- Good communication skills, Responsible and professional services are a plus.
Even if you are a graduate, don’t shy away from applying for this position ,it’s a job just like any other job.
The salary of a Chief in Kenya ranges between Ksh 35,000 and Ksh 80,000 per month. Sometimes chiefs can earn up to Ksh120,000 per month if they are assigned special roles. This means that every month, your area chief takes home a net salary of Ksh30,000 to Ksh70,000.
Assistant chief on the other hand earns Ksh 28,000 to Ksh 60,000 per month. The salary is dependent on one’s years of experience. The role of Assistant Chief is to help the Chief execute their mandate.
The beauty of becoming a chief or assistant chief is that you are employed on permanent basis. This is a permanent and pensionable job.