Governors in Kenya earn a basic salary of Ksh 554,400 per month, house allowance of Ksh 200,000 and other allowances. The gross salary of a governor is Ksh 924,000 per month while that of the Deputy Governor is Ksh 621,250.
County Governor is entitled to monthly airtime of Ksh20,000 while the deputy is paid Ksh15,000.
Monthly Remuneration for State officers in the Executive of the County Government
|Deputy County Governor||372,750||100,000||Official||148,500||621,250|
|Member of the Executive Committee||242,550||80,000||Official||81,700||404,250|
- A serving State officer and a State officer appointed on or after the effective date of this Gazette Notice shall be paid the monthly deconsolidated remuneration package set herein.
- The monthly remuneration set herein is fixed for the term of office of the State officer, unless reviewed and set by SRC.
- The remuneration set herein takes into account the reviewed job evaluation grading under the third remuneration and benefits review cycle.
- Salary Market Adjustment is a salary modification that takes into account market positioning, and constitutional and statutory principles for review of remuneration and benefits.
- For purposes of gratuity and pension, the pensionable emolument shall be based on the monthly basic salary set herein.
- The basic salary set herein is 60 per cent of the gross salary set herein.
- (g) The deconsolidated remuneration structure set herein is in compliance with the judgment of the Employment and Labour Relations Court Petition 29 of 2019 Nairobi.
- Benefits for State officers in the Executive of the County Government
- Official Transport: Shall be provided, as follows:
- Governor and Deputy Governor: Shall be provided with official car of engine capacity not exceeding 3000cc.
- Member of County Executive Committee: Shall be provided with official car of engine capacity not exceeding 2000cc.
- Medical Benefit: An annual medical cover shall be provided to the State officer, one spouse and up to four children below twenty-five years fully dependent on the State officer, as follows:
|Governor||Deputy Governor||Member of County|
|Inpatient: Ksh 10 million||Inpatient: Ksh 10 million||Inpatient: Ksh 3 million|
|Outpatient: Ksh 300,000||Outpatient: Ksh 300,000||Outpatient: Ksh 200,000|
|Maternity: Ksh 150,000||Maternity: Ksh 150,000||Maternity: Ksh 100,000|
|Dental: Ksh 75,000||Dental: Ksh 75,000||Dental: Ksh 50,000|
|Optical: Ksh 75,000||Optical: Ksh 75,000||Optical: Ksh 50,000|
- Retirement Benefit:
There shall be two types of retirement benefits for State officers, pension and gratuity, as follows:
- A State officer, serving or appointed on permanent and pensionable terms, shall be eligible to a pension benefit in line with existing laws.
- A State officer, serving or appointed for a fixed term of office, shall be paid a service gratuity at the rate of 31 per cent of the annual pensionable emoluments for the term served.
- Where an employer establishes a pension scheme for its State officers appointed for a fixed term of office, SRC shall review and set the rate of the employer’s contribution to the scheme, and any other financial retirement benefits.
- No State officer shall benefit from both pension and gratuity benefits from the same public body for a similar period.
- Group Life Insurance: A State officer shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times of the annual pensionable emoluments.
- Group Personal Accident: A State officer shall be covered for a value equivalent to three times of the annual pensionable emoluments.
- Car Loan and Mortgage Benefit: Shall be provided, as follows:
|State officer||Car Loan||Mortgage|
|County Governor||Up to Ksh 10 million||Up to Ksh 40 million|
|Deputy Governor||Up to Ksh 6 million||Up to Ksh 30 million|
|Member of County Executive Committee||Up to Ksh 4 million||Up to Ksh 20 million|
- The applicable rate of interest shall be 3 per cent per annum, for the duration of the loan.
- The car loan shall be recoverable within the contract term of a State officer.
- The car loan and mortgage schemes shall be administered and managed centrally by the County Treasury, within existing applicable regulations to govern the schemes, and subject to the availability of funds.
- Daily Subsistence Allowance for local and foreign travels: Shall be paid to State officers in the Executive of the County Governments as per the rates reviewed and set by SRC from time to time.
- Airtime: Shall be paid at the following rates:
- County Governor: Up to Ksh 20,000 per month
- Deputy County Governor: Up to Ksh 15,000 per month
- Member of County Executive Committee: Up to Ksh 10,000 per month
- Official Residence: The County Governor and Deputy County Governor shall be provided with an official residence together with commensurate home utilities and attendants by the County Government. The official residence shall be a physical building/house owned by government. The benefit shall not be commuted to cash in lieu of an official residence.
- Security: Shall be provided as advised by the Inspector-General of Police, and shall not be commuted to cash.
- Annual Leave Allowance:
- County Governor and Deputy County Governor: Shall be paid at the rate of Ksh 50,000 per annum and leave days shall not be commuted to cash.
- Member of County Executive Committee: Shall be paid at the rate of Ksh 10,000 per annum and leave days shall not be commuted to cash.
- Any remuneration and benefits not specified herein are not payable, unless subsequently set by SRC.