The salaries of police officers in Kenya vary depending on one’s rank.AP officers are among the lowest paid police officers in Kenya, they earn Ksh 17,190 to Ksh 274,800 per month.
Below are the salaries of AP officers in Kenya 2023:
Salaries of AP officers in Kenya
1.Job group F: Ksh.17,190 – Ksh.18,760
- Job group G: Ksh.22,400 – Ksh.42,680
- Job group H: Ksh.30,750 – Ksh.45,540
- Job group I: Ksh.33,950 – Ksh.50,220
- Job group J: Ksh.36,300 – Ksh.53,850
6.Job group K: Ksh.40,090 – Ksh.59,420
- Job group L: Ksh.45,550 – Ksh.70,550
- Job group M: Ksh.48,670 – Ksh.73,010
- Job group N: Ksh.59,220 – Ksh.85,890
11.Job group P: Ksh.98,040 – Ksh.130,590
- Job group R: Ksh.143,800 – Ksh.187,980
- Job group S: Ksh.180,080 – Ksh.274,800
Salaries of other police officers in Kenya 2023
|No.||Rank||Salary per month||Salary per year|
|1||Inspector General of Police||Ksh 854,241||Ksh 10,250,892|
|2||Senior assistant inspector general||Ksh 274,890||Ksh 3,298,680|
|3||Assistant inspector general||Ksh 187,890||Ksh 2,254,680|
|4||Commissioner of police||Ksh 130,590||Ksh 1,567,080|
|5||Senior superintendent||Ksh 85,890||Ksh 1,030,680|
|6||Superintendent||Ksh 73,020||Ksh 876,240|
|7||Assistant superintendent||Ksh 70,530||Ksh 846,360|
|8||Chief inspector||Ksh 59,220||Ksh 710,640|
|9||Inspector of police||Ksh 53,820||Ksh 645,840|
|10||Senior sergeant||Ksh 50,220||Ksh 602,640|
|11||Sergeant||Ksh 45,540||Ksh 546,480|
|12||Corporal||Ksh 42,660||Ksh 511,920|
|13||Constable/Fresh Graduate||Ksh 32,880||Ksh 394,560|
Salaries of NIS officers in Kenya
NIS officers earn better salaries than police officers. Most of them possess degrees with high grades. They are not recruited like police officers, most of them are recruited through connections. The average salary of NIS officer is Ksh 180,000 per month. Those in the managerial levels earn Ksh 300,000 and above.
When you join NIS,you are sure of earning over Ksh 100k per month even without prior experience.
- Salaries of Recce Squad
Recce Squad are drawn from the GSU squad. Their monthly salary range between Ksh 30,000 and Ksh 50,000.They earn allowance of Ksh10, 000 when they are sent for a special mission.
- Salaries of GSU officers in Kenya
GSU officers mostly are aged below 28 years. Their monthly pay range between Ksh 30,000 and Ksh 46,000.The average pay for a GSU officer in Kenya is Ksh 40,000 per month.
Roles of police officers in Kenya
- Communicate with the community
- Give feedback
- Listen more and understand public needs
- Being problem solvers
- Being transparent, accountable and effective
- Being professional in carrying out Police duties
- Helping in formation of CPF’s
- Maintenance of law and order in crime prevention strategies.
- Enforcement of law and order
- Patrolling in their beat areas effectively
Police officer recruitment requirements in Kenya
The Applicant must:
- Be a citizen of Kenya
- Hold a Kenya National Identity Card
- Possess a minimum mean grade of D+ (D Plus) and above in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination or its equivalent from an examination body recognized in Kenya with a D+ (D Plus) and above in either English or Kiswahili languages
- Be aged between 18 and 28 years
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution
- Be physically and Medically fit
- Have no criminal record or pending criminal charges
- Female Candidates must NOT be pregnant at recruitment and during the ENTIRE training period.